We collect two types of information from visitors to the website: 1) Personally Identifiable Information; and Non-personally Identifiable Information, such as your IP address or cookies.
Personal information collection
NCL may collect and use the following kinds of personal information:
- information about your use of this website;
- information that you provide for the purpose of registering with the website, including your first name, last name and email address;
- information that you provide for the purpose of subscribing to the website services, including your first name, last name and email address; and
- any other information that you send to NCL.
Using personal information
NCL may use your personal information to:
- administer this website;
- personalize the website for you; and
- send you communications.
Where NCL discloses your personal information to its agents or sub-contractors for these purposes, the agent or sub-contractor in question will be obligated to use that personal information in accordance with the terms of this privacy statement.
In addition to the disclosures reasonably necessary for the purposes identified elsewhere above, NCL may disclose your personal information to the extent that it is required to do so by law, in connection with any legal proceedings or prospective legal proceedings, and in order to establish, exercise or defend its legal rights.
Non-Personal identifiable Information collection
“Non-Personal Identifiable Information” can be technical information or it can be demographic information, such as your age, gender or interests. Non-personal identifiable information does NOT identify you personally. Here are some examples of the non-personally identifiable information that is collected via the website and a description of how this information is used:
- Internet Protocol (IP) address — Your IP address is a number that lets computers attached to the Internet know where to send you data — such as the web pages you view. We use this information to deliver our web pages to you upon request, to tailor our website to the interests of our users and to measure traffic within our website.
- Cookie — A “cookie” is a small text file that may be used to collect information about your activity on the website. For example, when someone visits a page within the website, a cookie is placed on the user’s machine (if the user accepts cookies) or is read if the user has visited the website previously. You may set most browsers to notify you if you receive a cookie, or you may choose to block cookies with your browser, but if you do, you may not be able to take advantage of the personalized features enjoyed by other users to our website. Some of the cookies we use may be flash cookies or Adobe cookies. While they are harmless, they may contain Demographic Information (defined below) and depending on your browser these cookies may not normally be deleted when your cookies are deleted. Please check your browser to determine where these types of cookies are stored and how they may be deleted.
- Web Beacons (also known as “clear gifs,” “web bugs” or “pixel tags”) — “Web Beacons” are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies, and are used to allow us to count users who have visited certain pages of the website and to help determine the effectiveness of promotional or advertising campaigns. When used in HTML-formatted email messages, web beacons can tell the sender whether and when the email has been opened. In contrast to cookies, which are stored on a user’s computer hard drive, web beacons are embedded invisibly on web pages.
- Demographic Information — “Demographic Information” may be your gender, age, zip code and interests, which you voluntarily provide to us on the website. We use this information to provide you with personalized services and to analyze trends to ensure the information provided by the website meets your needs. Please note that we also consider aggregated information, which is not personally identifiable, to be non-personally identifiable information. The above list provides an example of the non-personally identifiable information that is collected via the website.
We collect the above non-personally identifiable information from all visitors to our website. If you do not want NCL to have access to this information, please do not visit our website.
Securing your data
NCL will take reasonable technical and organizational precautions to prevent the loss, misuse or alteration of your personal information.
NCL will store all the personal information you provide on its secure servers.
Information relating to electronic transactions entered into via this website will be protected by encryption technology.
Cross-border data transfers
Updating this statement
You should check this page occasionally to ensure you are familiar with any changes.
This website contains links to other websites.
NCL is not responsible for the privacy policies or practices of any third party.
National Consumers League
1701 K Street NW, Suite 1200
Washington DC 20006